10.01.2009

kasekrainers are deeeelicious!

Hi. It's me again!


Not too much has happened this past week, but I guess enough to write about.

Saturday we went to the Schonnbrunn and took the inside tour as well as a train to the Gloriette on the top of the hill. I would definitely say that the train was the best investment we made all day. After we left the palace we headed towards Cafe Landtmann, since it was one of Meredith's needed visits, and enjoyed some great dessert for dinner. I probably won't head back there anytime soon because it was pretty pricey, but it was enjoyable for one night. But on our way out there we decided to take the UBahn to the end of the line and not get off at the last stop. Well we did so, and the train just stopped. The sign in the train said Haltepunkt which is stop point in german. We were freaking out because we were the only ones on the train and were afraid that we'd be stuck there all night. But the driver just had to switch ends, that's all. :) However we did enjoy our trip to the twilight zone.

Sunday we went to church at Augustinerkirche. I wasn't a fan, but then again I'm not really ever a fan of Catholic masses. However, we talked to this man, who I later found out was named Willburt, but oddly pronounced Villeberrt (roll those rrrrs), who told us that anyone who wanted to, could sing with the choir. Sarah and I were pretty excited by it because they were phenomenal. They even made our Vienna guide books! We told him we'd definitely be back on Wednesday to sing.

I used that afternoon to catch up on homework and get ready for the coming week. Nothing too exciting ;)

Monday after class we went to investigate Renaissance Vienna, and let me just say there is not much left. That was done quickly and we went around Stephansdom just exploring little shops. One of the stores we found was a cute little bookstore with a great children's section, and I found a cute cartoony German version of the Grimm's tales that I'm going to get help on from Frau Swann. Woo! One visit down for me. We also found a class Wien tradition... Manner. This store is located right next to Stephansdom and offers a large array of chocolates. I got the classic Neopolitan wafer things, and ohhhh boy, people at home get ready, because that's what I'm bringing you!! It was beyond wonderful. mmmmm

Tuesday we investigated a couple more parks- Ressel which is in front of Karlskirche and Augarten which is wayyyyy out in the boonies. The way we went in was kinda sketch, I felt like I was walking into the beginning of a really bad horror film. It was empty and the trees were dead and the leaves were just blowing across our paths... not to mention that there was this huge looming tower in front of us that happened to be an old Nazi watch tower. :/ I couldn't stand being there for very long. :/ That night we went to find Cafe Central, but to no avail, and found Cafe Palffy, a little ways down from the Opera house. I got the Alt Wiener Suppe because I wasn't feeling too well, but I had a few bits of other people's Wiener Schnitzel and it was pretty tasty.

Wednesday we went back to the KHM to look at Renaissance art, and after we were done sketching an art work (which I'm terribly proud of mine... :) ) we left and went to our favorite place in the city, Venezia. I got a salmon tortellini which was amazing, and for lunch they had free soup which was some spinach cream thing. It was so super delicious I ate mine and Meredith's and probably could've gone for another... :)

That afternoon I dyed my hair with the help of Lauren. It is now a dark red, and while I'll probably grow pretty sick of it soon, I kinda like the change now. It's different, and I already feel like I'm supposed to be a different person here anyhow, so why not change a little bit of me?

Later that night Sarah and I went to the choir rehearsal and had such a great time. Everyone there was so friendly, from Ernestos the kindly old man and this lady who reminded me of Memawmac, to girls my age Lissi and Katrin. They were all helpful in telling me where we were or what the director had said. The choir was beyond amazing too. They were excellent sight readers, since this was the first time looking at most of the music. They are even recording it in a few days for an upcoming Christmas cd! I could not believe that a group could sound this good without having to work at it for months and months at a time. After the rehearsal we went downstairs to a small get together. Apparently this is typical for Viennese, but they had breads, cheeses, meats, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, and wine just waiting to be consumed. I hadn't eaten yet, so I got myself some meat, cheese, bread, eggs, AND some tomatoes. I actually think by the time it was over I ate an entire tomato. Yes Momma you should be proud!

But I was so impressed by this group. They were all so kind and helpful and congenial just like I expect people from churches in the States to be. We made quick friends with Katrin, a mathematics and music student at the University of Wien, and she told us she would take us to Linz (her hometown) and show us around some weekend, because it is the cultural capitol of Europe this year.

I was so glad I went last night, even though I was tired and needed to study for a test this morning. I feel like I experienced something most students on our trip won't get to witness while they're here. We were invited into a family setting and were accepted even though there was a slight language barrier. I promised the people I met though that I would learn to be more fluent with their help. Even if they make fun of me for it. :)

This morning was our first Bible test. It was all essay and I felt like it was ok in hardness. I was the first one done, which is never a good sign to me, but I read and reread my answers about 6 times and know that that was about all I could put. Crossing my fingers that I did alright!

Tonight we're studying for our first German test and resting since we stayed up pretty late last night. Tomorrow we're going to do a quick thing of laundry, clean up, and pack up all our things since the hotel wants to give away our rooms for the week we're in Italy. Understandable I guess, but it's going to be a hassle.

But Saturday (at some point, not sure what point that will be) we're leaving for Italy. I think we're only going to Florence, Rome, and Siena. I'm excited, but since I've already been there, I kind of wish I could use this time to be going somewhere else I haven't been yet. But it will be fun, hopefully there won't be as much rain as last time!

I should go actually study now... blech.

4 remarks:

Kristy said...

Hey girlie,
Sounds like you are having a blast and that singing that you got into sounds really neat. I am glad you are having fun and I hope your birthday this weekend is really fun. I want to skype with you at some point so we will have to figure out a time. Love you lots and glad you are having fun. Enjoy!!
Love you,
Kristy

Mom said...

ok - I KNEW you could eat a whole tomato!! You GO Girl!!

Be careful in Italy - there's lots of boys preying on American beauties.

I continue to pray for you daily.

I love you!

Unknown said...

Wow, sounds like you're having such amazing experiences! That choir was a meant-to-be, wasn't it? Perfect place for you to find to get to know the real Austria, and Austrians. You sound a lot like Mike; he spent his time in Japan trying to meet as many people as he could and do the Japanese cultural experiences instead of just the touristy things (although he did those, too, of course!). It was great when we got to go and meet him there because we had a different experience from what the normal American tourist would have. We even got to go for a ride in a friend of his' minivan (which was really mini, unlike the gargantuan ones we have here). You should have heard us screaming as he careened through two-way streets that were about the width of the average alley here!

Sarah used to have a German pen pal in elementary school who was in a choir. She sent us a cassette tape (back in the day, huh?) of them singing American gospel songs -- they were fantastic! I'm sure you'll come back an even better singer after getting to work with them.

Post pictures of that red hair. I can't even imagine it, so I'll have to see it :-). Have a safe trip to Italy.

Kim Bailey

Amy said...

Glad your trip is going well! The choir sounds awesome!

By the way, I met your dad tonight at Jim N Nick's when I was there with Garrett and his parents.