6.24.2010

cell phones are ridiculous.

australia is weird. there i said it.


not sure i'm sold on whether i like it better than europe, it's just a completely different experience. not that i expected it to be similar since this is a mission trip, but we've hardly seen anything perth related besides downtown and so many things are similar i'm having a hard time believing we're actually in a)the southern hemisphere, b)outside of the US, and c)on the other side of the world. i can understand everyone, food is the same but blander, and it looks (but definitely doesn't feel) like phoenix.

but they drive on the other side of the road, their toilets are in a different room than their showers and sinks, they call math "maths" and are confused when you call it plain math, and they actually don't care that much for soccer. we also have to fill out some form to work with kids at the end of the month because it's past a two week limit of being in the states (even though it won't be processed before we leave...), continuously search for outlets because there seems to be a shortage and then remember that you have to flip a switch to actually get power, and um i think our house has ONE trash can. weird.

but, i LOVE the people. the people at the church are fantastic and even playing with the kids tonight completely warmed my heart. sure they were cussing at us and hating us because we were dominating them in a game but kids say the darnedest things. "she's a girl! you'll break her nails!" can't wait for more of that.

tomorrow we're going to the primary school to do skits and what not. could get pretty interesting! tomorrow night we're going to see toy story 3 and eat at hans (i think that's what it's called...) Saturday we're going to go ride camels!! I feel like that is something I won't ever do in my life again.

man australian commercials are weird...

1 remarks:

Amy said...

I'm surprised their food is blander. I suppose I thought it would all be like Outback, ha ha.

I went to England my freshman year of high school for a mission trip. There has been a time or two I brought it up fairly recently around some close friends and a couple of them were like, "Wow, I didn't know you went there," because I never talk about. It was a super awesome experience, but I don't feel like I saw England even though I saw Big Ben and Buckingham Palace and a couple of other big things in London. I really want to go back, but at least I know I have been there in case I don't make it.